Monday, March 12, 2007

Frankie's 1 month old!



I can't believe my little girl is already 1 month old today. Kristen and Nathanael came over today to celebrate, and Gammy and I made lemon cupcakes for her (although, let's be honest, they're really for us - Frankie can't eat them!). Daddy will undoubtedly want to play with her tonight on her new exercise mat.

Frankie is much more alert now, and enjoys periods of awake time between feedings and sleeping. She has been known to go up to 5 hours between feedings, but recently it's been more like 2-3. We're still working on the sleeping at night skill, but I think she's starting to smile - I've caught her twice today in what I think was a real smile. She can lift her head for surprisingly long periods of time, almost doing a mini push up. She loves her sling, swing, and sound machine.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday Frankie! You have a package coming from Iowa (that's already a month late!) if Samuel and I can ever make it to the post office.

And yea! hooray! hooray! for the sound machine. Ahh, the power of white noise.

Unknown said...

We miss you too, but imagine Grammy is also taking good care of all of you. Give that little Frankie lots of hugs for us!

Love from us in Cincinnati,
Nonnie and Pawpaw

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Frankie!

You look just like your daddy!

"Auntie" Lois

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! She is the cutest little girl! Congrats! I know you both must be amazing parents!
Hope to see you soon!
-Dyan

Biz said...

alright- we need some new pictures of lady frances. :)

Melanie said...

Are we going to have to wait until she's TWO months for more pictures? I mean, I know you're just sitting around eating bon bons, so certainly you have time to blog ...
We do love that girl, even if we only get to see these pictures of her :)

Anonymous said...

Chris, it's a pleasure to 'see' you again after so very long! I still remember our long philosophical chats and sleepovers back in high school. I was rather crazy then, but I milded down at midlands tech and then at CIU I pretty much new everyone and everyone new me- I really had a great time in college and finally found my 'nitch'.

Congratulations on being a Father! I became a Daddy, too, on November 11, 2005. He is our first and, at present, only- Conor Ross Flanagan, and he is now 16 months... nearing a year and a half. Wow, it really doesn't seem that long since he was where yours is.

I'm jealous- I'll admit freely I REALLY wanted our first to be a little girl, like yours. Conor's really grown on me, though- I'm a full time, stay home Dad and the older he gets the most FUN he gets.

I think as a Dad, that's how it will be for you, perhaps, as well. Mom's tend to treasure the special closenes and dependency of younger years and look back fondly, missing them. Us Dads tend to do the reverse- the older they get the more exciting it is! Watching my baby grow from something more akin to a pet (LOL, sorry, but even my daschunds were more self-sufficient than Conor at a young age) to a REAL person... able to think, communicate, feel... well, it was like the coolest science and social experiment in the world which gradually developed into a real love relationship.

Unlike Kat, who instantly was attached, my love for Conor really grew gradually- at first it felt superficial compared to the intense bond Kat had for him. But now, since he's been a year old, I've found myself missing him when he's not around (previously, I was like "YAY, finally a BREAK!" Full time daddy work is hard!) and just adoring his many faces and new steps.

I encourage you to consider reading the book "Babywise" if you haven't. It's controversial in some arenas, but if you take it as a GUIDE, not an instruction manual- and take what hits you as 'good' alongside your Wife, applying it with discretion and wisdom, you'll find it works SO well. To get Baby to sleep at night can be hardest for Mom- because it involves baby sometimes crying after his needs are met, and it can be hard for mommy to just let baby cry.

God bless you guys. I hope to talk to you some later.

-Patrick