Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Betty

Chris and I bought a second car a few months ago when it became difficult for me to take the bus everywhere with an infant. When we thought about buying a used car, I knew exactly which car I wanted: a Volvo 240. Volvo stopped making these cars in 1993, but they are an icon of the 80s and early 90s, are regarded as excellent cars, and many have rumored to make it well past the 200K mark. Fortunately for me, the time was ripe to buy a 240, because no matter the reputation of the car, a 14-year-old car is still a 14-year-old car, which kept the purchase price to a minimum.

We found a 1993 240 white wagon with the extra third-row seats in the back, making it the perfect mom-mobile. With just 145,000 miles on her, she was practically a baby. I named her Betty, and I have loved her.

I still love her, even though she recently developed a bit of a snaggle-tooth:

 
 

She was minding her own business, parked on the end of our street, and got side-swiped by a U-Haul (one more reason to hate U-Haul, anyone?). Sigh. Fortunately, the guy driving the U-Haul was very nice about taking responsibility, and so we're currently working with his insurance company to get her fixed.

I had to get an estimate for the repairs, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to find Click and Clack's local garage, the Good News Garage, right here in Cambridge. While they don't do body work, they recommended the place next door, DeLeo's. I took my car to Leo DeLeo, and he estimates the repairs are going to be $2500. Almost the purchase price of the car. Sigh again.

So the insurance agency is sending a guy today to come give his own estimate, and we'll see what comes of that. We won't let you go, though, Betty, you're still running great. What's a little snaggle-tooth?

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Murry said...

i think the snaggle tooth is enduring...jeff and i think you should take the insurance money, find used parts and pocket the extra change...especially it the used parts are different colors...very cool!