Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's been so long since I've updated, I'm not sure where to begin! Not that anything major has happened, just lots of little things.

Chris is working like crazy, which means he hasn't been home much. But we're very proud of him, and appreciate how hard he works for our family! The work will hopefully ease up in two weeks. I am struggling to keep up with my class, the kids, my job, and the house, but we are making it through.

Dexter is getting baptized this Sunday! Sunday is also Easter, where we celebrate the resurrection of our savior, Jesus Christ. What a joyful day of celebration it will be!

Dexter has also had his 4th ear infection since late December this week. We're getting a referral to an ENT, which will probably result in tubes for his ears. He's also able to eat yogurt now and a milk-based lactose reduced formula without painful amounts of gas. Hurray and hurray!

Frankie and I had some major power struggles and disobedience issues starting last week (of course when Chris is out of town!). I suddenly realized it was time to actually start disciplining her, not just correcting and reminding. She's always been put in time out for things like hitting other kids, but the tantrums and the willfull disobedience were spiraling out of control. I realized I was getting angry at her and just in general didn't know what to do, which is not the position a parent should be in! So I spoke to some friends, and read Ginger Plowman's "Don't make me count to three" (Thanks, Gretchen!). This book was so, so helpful. It gave me a plan and the words to use to discipline her. And after about 24 hours of putting my foot down, she was drastically better. She got progressively more obedient over the next three days, and since we've been maintaining a relative peace. Discipline is one of those constant chores, like weeding a garden, where you can't let it go for a while or it becomes a major chore if not impossible to correct! I know I'll need to re-read this book and repurpose to discipline my children often because I am forgetful, sinful, and lazy. But I love them too much to not discipline them!

In other news, the family fish, Manny is now among the dearly departed. I had to flush him this morning. We knew he was nearing the end for a while - he got progressively slower and had this ugly-looking buldge around his eye. Frankie's going to help me pick out a new one this weekend!

5 comments:

Heather said...

R.I.P SeƱor Manny.

Sorry to hear Dex has had so many infections. Poor little dude. Hopefully the ENT will fix him up quick, so he can get on with all of the things 10-month-olds should be up to. :)

Great to hear the consistent discipline with Frankie is going well! She is such a dear. I should read that book too. Like you said, it's too easy to get lazy. I've been getting nervous about returning to the land of toddler discipline...

Can't wait to see you Sunday for the big event!

Murry said...

what news...so good to hear how the mcfaddy clan is doing.

poor dexter! ear infections are so painful, and he has had so many! i hope the referral goes through quickly and that you are able to get answers and hopefully prevent any future ear infections!

and i'm sorry jenny but frankie it wayyyy toooo sweeeeet to need discipline :) ease up will you? just kidding...if you are talking about peaks and valleys to discipline, i am hoping that we are at a peak. we are working through the daily routines of getting dressed, brushing teeth and combing hair (and you've see the knot that h has in the morning - her mane has to be tamed!).

we're praying for you guys and will be celebrating dex's baptism on sunday even though we are not with you all!

we love you!

Kristen said...

happy to have the update--glad to hear that book is working out for you with Frankie. Some days parenting a 2 year old is just exhausting. Especially when you have a 0 yr old who has an ear infection!

Oh, and poor Manny. that eye bulge sounded horrible.

Oil Zivan said...

I am getting the book too!
I love how you tell the stories, both Frankie's and Manny's.

Kristen said...

okay, so, i know you're busy with work and kids and all (seriously, I do), but Sarah is blogging with 8 stitches in her finger. Does that style of peer pressure work on you, Jenny? We shall see.