Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Favorite Things

I'm done with my root canals, done with my Java class, and ready to start enjoying summer! It's been beautiful here the last few days; last week it was in the '90s and Rachel took the kids to Carson Beach where they played all morning in the sand and surf.

More pictures will be coming soon, but until then I will entertain and inform with some of my favorite things (a la Oprah - get ready for that crazy boost in sales and activity, recommended products!)

1. This American Life podcast. I love This American Life, and you can subscribe to the free podcast on their website. In particular, I highly recommend last week's No Maps episode, particularly the prologue which features a cop's story of a car accident involving a man and his well dressed chimpanzee. The chimp was driving, and therefore, the man maintains, the accident was not his fault. The story is hilariously told.

2. With the hopes of many trips to the beach this summer, I ordered this tent for the kids to take naps in or get out of the sun for a little while. It's fantastic. As promised, it pops up and down with ease, requiring only one hand (and one person). It's roomy enough for both kids, and an adult can squeeze in if needed. You can fill the pockets on the sides with sand to help weigh it down so it doesn't blow away, and it only weighs 5 lbs! I'll post video soon of Dexter laughing hysterically as he plays in the tent. I had technical difficulties trying to upload it the other day. It's been a big hit!



In action at the beach with Rachel:


3. Clinique long wearing Mascara. I've tried many mascaras - waterproof, non-waterproof, Aveda, Maybeline, Revlon, regular Clinique, and so on, and this mascara is so far the best I've found. It takes some getting used to - you have to be rather exacting otherwise it will clump, but it washes off with soap and water, and last all day without smudging. Seriously, I go for runs with this stuff on and not a hint of black under my eye when I return. It's not so great at volumizing, but if smudge-proof is what you're after, she's your girl.

4. FailBlog.org

5. In a similar vein to FailBlog, I love the ABC show Wipeout, which starts up again tomorrow!

I have a backlog of pictures and events to post about, so this week I'll be featuring events that happened in our recent past to catch you up on all the going-ons of our family!

And yes, today is our 8th wedding anniversary!

2 comments:

Alecia W. said...

Happy anniversary! Daniel loves failblog! He looks at it all the time. :) Thanks for the mascara suggestion.

Kristen said...

matthew is a big fan of failblog, too. Happy for an update from you! We miss you!