Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Big girl bed, and WORDS!

Frankie has moved to a big girl bed! We took the side off her crib, so she can climb in and out. This transition has gone fairly well so far. She stays in her room and plays with Dex in the morning, and at night there has actually been less crying and cajoling than the past. The other night she did get up and leave the room 2 times, and Chris was right there to sternly direct her back to bed. She has a "new" pillow (as in, I let her chose from one of the 2 that were on the bed in the playroom at the time), and she will soon have a new quilt. I have been working on one for her since she was born, and I'm finally done piecing it! I still need to actually quilt it, but the basting is done.

The one problem we're having is that she keeps falling out of bed - she fell out last night 2 times, and I heard her crying in her room, so went to soothe her. She's not really awake when this happens, and I think it scares her more than anything. I've put a duvet on the floor to soften her landing after last night's falls (we have hard wood floors), but does anyone else have suggestions? I know we could put a low rail up, but I'd like for her to learn to stay in her bed. Is this not the best way to do this?

We've finally decided that Dexter has 4 consistent (discernible? at least by me and maybe Chris?) words.

  • Da-dee (Daddy)
  • Dug-ee (doggy)
  • Dee-Dee (Frankie)
  • Ma-mee (Mommy)
What's tough is that the first three sound almost the exact same, and that he often uses "Da-dee" as his generic word. He does a lot of pointing, jabbing and nodding to also get his point across, which is adorable. I love that his first 4 words are words for each of his family members. I'm still listening for "Rachel", which I'm sure is in there, or coming very soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you! So sweet about Dex's words. You know that "Didi" (pronounced dhee-dhee) means sister in Hindi? Funny coincidence!

Kiran :)

Jenny said...

So sweet! He needs his Kiran Auntie to come by and teach her Bitta more Hindi.

Heather said...

Such a fun post about the kids in new stages!

You can get a 1/2 rail to help F from falling out of bed, so she can still get in and out at the gap. Here's one: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534813&cmSource=Search But it's pretty expensive. The duvet's a cheaper option. :)

I love toddler communication. I can't wait to hear him and Brian "talk" next time they're together!