Friday, December 18, 2009

Emergency

Chris has been trying to teach Frankie what "Emergency" means, and plays the following game with her:

"Frankie, is it an Emergency when your oatmeal is too hot to eat?" (nooo...so you don't need to cry about it)

"Frankie, is it an Emergency if someone gets cut and is bleeding real bad?" (yes! time to go to Dr. Mitchell...)

"Frankie, is it an Emergency if someone who can't swim falls into the water?" (yes! go get an adult!)

Today we'll get to add the the list:
"Frankie is it an Emergency when your little brother plays with the former home owner's deactivated alarm keypad which no one thought would do anything and then sets off the alarm?"

Yes! Mainly because we have no idea what the code is. So after 10 minutes of trying to decide what to do in the mind-numbing noise I cut the wires to the units make noise with a set of toenail clippers. The problem is that I'm pretty sure this is also our fire alarm system. So either Chris will have to perform a Christmas Miracle or I'll be heading to Target tonight to get some new free-standing fire alarms.

4 comments:

Heather said...

You got me with the title to this one! I was nervous to read it; afraid someone had been seriously injured. (And then, quite selfishly, I was thinking you wouldn't be able to make it this morning. Oh, Jesus, keep working on my heart!)

Phew!!

Aubrey said...

Hah! When alarms go off you just can't even think straight. I say you did the right thing - cut the blasted wires. :)

Murry said...

all i can say is that i am so glad it was your kid that did that and not my kid! how could he reach the keypad? is he climbing??? too funny, although i'm sure quite stressful at the time :)

Jenny said...

So this is a little embarrassing - he was able to reach the keypad because Rachel was holding him up to it to press the buttons. And it was Rachel only because I had been holding him up to it 5 minutes before, but had handed him to her to go back upstairs and keep working. It was something we were all allowing him to do because we all rationalized that surely since it wasn't connected to the service anymore, it couldn't go off. Right? Apparently wrong.