February is the month when "Winter Madness" (see last week's 30 Rock episode) sets in for me. The cold, dark days have finally gotten to me, and I just want winter to be over. Problem is we generally have 3 more months of winter, depending on how you count winter. It often feels like New England doesn't really have a spring; we kind of skip straight from 40 degrees and thawing to a 90 degree summer. And that doesn't happen reliably until the end of May.
Every year in February I contemplate moving South. I know this how I ended up at the University of South Carolina. Senior year of HS, living in Cincinnati, Ohio, and February rolled around. I didn't even wait to see if I got into some of my other schools. I visited South Carolina on a campus visit in Feb, and I was sold. I remember it was warm enough to not have to wear a coat, and the flowers were beginning to bloom. (So Mom McFadden, your chances are greatest for convincing us to move back South in February!).
So why did we leave the south, and spend the last 9 years in New England? Because as much as I hate the cold, dark days come February, up until February, I like it. I like the winter: the snow, the shorter days where you feel compelled to hole up inside reading or get more work done. I like going snow shoeing, and witnessing the beauty of the parks and woods when they are covered in snow.
And while I get tired of being cold and having to bundle up, I really don't like being hot and sticky, which you get plenty of further south. So really it comes down to which season would you prefer to suffer through? A cold winter, or a really hot summer? The answer for me is cold winter.
I know Sarah Murry is going to chime in to try and convince me to move to Southern Cal, where it's always 70 degrees and sunny. The problem with that (for me) is that I like seasons. I like the spring (as short as ours is here) with the relief I feel when I see flowers blooming, and the days lengthening: there's an excitement in the air as we all anticipate the glorious summer that's coming. I like that in the summer in Boston everyone stops going to work as much, and goes outside, on vacation, or just takes some time off. I like that cool, crisp back-to-school feeling in October where you get to enjoy outdoor fires and the crunch crunch of leaves under your feet. And you can't beat the first few snowfalls of winter - those magical moments where everything suddenly looks different and (if they're bad enough) life pauses for a day or so while everyone stays home to wait for it to pass.
One thing we've learned in our 9 winters here is that to survive Winter Madness you need to get out. That was easier before we had children, but we're still making the effort to get out. We have learned to allow 20 minutes to bundle before leaving.
Here is a series of photos I took in December: Snow Day Preparations
Step 1: leggings, long-sleeved shirt, sweater.
Step 2: warm socks
Step 3: vest and mittens
Step 4: snow pants
Step 5: coats
Step 6: hat
Ready to go!
Here we go!
Yesterday, despite the 24 degree day, we went hiking, because we all just needed to get out and explore our world. We picked up pine cones and other found objects for a craft later, broke up ice on the trail, crunch-crunched in the snow, tried to figure out where all the berries that were on the ground had come from (and learned not to eat them), "skated" on the pond, learned about frozen-pond safety, threw sticks for Maisy and some other dogs who we met, and marveled at the mostly-frozen water that was still flowing quickly under a bridge.
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Winter Madness
Posted by Jenny at 4:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love the seasons too! And, girl, this particular winter has not been that bad. It was a pretty mild January, and at least we don't have 2ft of snow right now!!!! I think what helps in December is that everyone wants it to be cold because Christmas is coming and wintery weather goes well with Christmas for us Yankees.
Do you take walks on your lunch break? A little time outside would likely help to fight the doldrums.
I fully agree, getting out makes a BIG difference, even for 10 minutes. I'm jealous you went hiking yesterday, being in with sick kids is a bummer. The other drawback I'm finding of being inside is that I bake too much and eat too many cookies and too much bread!! But, there are worse things. :)
may i just add that you can visit places with season...the mountains with snow are only an hour away, and they also have a small foliage time in those same mountains. the best part is that you get the taste of snow and snow fun without having to shovel or clean off your car every time you get out. just saying...don't rule ca out completely. please???
oh, and glad you had fun! :)
Post a Comment