I realized I needed to update all my faithful blog readers about a few things:
1. Dex did great at his assessment - and didn't qualify for services! He needed to be 6 months behind developmentally to qualify, and he rated at 19 months for his language skills (he's almost 22 months). He's behind, but not so much that they don't think he'll catch up on his own with the environment we're already surrounding him with. So we're just going to keep working with him at home. We're so glad we had him assessed though, I think I always would have worried that we hadn't done all we could for him otherwise. He did rate at 25 months for gross motor which was no surprise...
2. Frankie will be attending the Pope John Paul the II preschool in the fall! We will be enrolling her in the catholic school system in Dorchester (it's actually a system - they are centrally administered and have 4-5 campuses). We're so relieved she got in somewhere we feel comfortable sending her and can afford to send her. We got rejected from BPS, and will most likely get rejected from Ashmont Co-op (we'll probably get the letter today). This was all very discouraging, but I got a call yesterday from Pope John Paul that she's in! It's going to be a big adjustment - the preschool meets 5 days/week, from 7:30am - 2:30pm. I think she's so ready for school though - she loves to play with other kids her age (girls specifically), and I think is going to enjoy some more structured play in her day.
And seriously, the emotional roller-coaster involved in "getting her in" to a preschool has been so ridiculous. When did this happen to us? We aren't "those parents" who need their kid to get into the very best preschool so she can get into the very best private school so she can get into the very best college. We just wanted a safe, nurturing environment for her to go to where she could get some socialization and enjoy craft time that wasn't a day care and didn't cost $15K/year for her to go to (and that wasn't a 30-minute drive away). I guess this is what they talk about when they say your child can get a good education in Boston if you're willing to advocate for them, but ugh. It's exhausting. And enough to make me wish I didn't have to fight quite so hard to find a solution that's 'good enough' for my children in this city.
Parents of preschoolers - what's the preschool process been like for you?
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Newsy News
Posted by Jenny at 8:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i haven't figured out preschool yet, but will most likely send her part time starting sept. 2011, the year before she starts k.i've heard good things about a half day program at a church chose by. phew...i get to push it off one more year!
for public school san diego has a choice system where you can apply to go to a school that is preforming better than yours...you cannot apply to a school doing worse (but why would you?!?) and you will be accepted. i am recently thinking about a charter school here (still funded by tax money, so free) that is three day school and two day home school program. the home school portion is still prepared by the teacher, but lets the parents incorporate teaching in the family life. i like the peer aspect with the home involvement.
there is another charter school that is bilingual but it's test scores aren't that great. CA really has a lot of options for education!! (too bad we are preforming so poorly!!)
sorry about the book i wrote in my last comment.
glad to hear about dex's eval, and that he does not need speech therapy!! now you have peace of mind :)
Wow, that charter school of 3 days in school 2 at home seems really cool! I've always been intrigued by home schooling, but doubt that I could not handle the full-time commitment it would require. Interesting that if you apply to a better school you will get in. Why doesn't everyone just apply for the best school? How do they keep their numbers in check?
Post a Comment