Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dexter's Language update

Dexter's language "explosion" has finally arrived!  I estimate he has about 100 words, combines up to 5 at a time, and is constantly trying new words.  His pronunciation still need considerable work, but we're so happy for him that he's hit this milestone.  Some fun things he's been able to communicate recently:

  • He just told me "I nee meh-sin".  (I need medicine).  When I said no, he said "I hot".  We just got flu shots yesterday, and I had to give him some medicine yesterday afternoon after he'd woken up with a fever.
  • "I nee sue-me"  This one of my favorites.  He's saying smoothie, but it comes out "sue me" every time.
  • "I spy my eye....um, tree!" This is one our favorite car games, and right now he always spies a tree.  Yeah, we play I spy on the the easy setting.
  • He now says everyone's name in the house!  He added Frankie last week (Frenchie), and finally started saying Rebecca!  It comes out "Betcha", but we're all happy to see him calling Rebecca something instead of just pointing at her and saying "dis-dis".
  • He sings all kids of songs.  His favorite for the last few weeks has been "ABCs".  He gets most of the way through (with a little h-i-j-j-m-m-m-p) and then towards the end just finishes with "s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s".
  • His favorite book is his Bible.  He asks for it every night in his crib and we have about 3 kids "Bibles".  He knows which ones they are! 
He's currently telling me "I nee watch Elmo", which means he wants me to watch Elmo with him.  Who can pass up an invitation like that?

3 comments:

Murry said...

so sweet!! i'm so glad to hear that his language has exploded...what a relief for all of you to be able to understand each other!! i enjoyed skyping and hearing him sing me twinkle twinkle...such a cutie!

Heather said...

Yay!!!!! Talk, Dex, talk. :)

Jen said...

Frenchie! I love it! That combined with Frankie's own version of her name as "Dankie" and you've got two adorable nicknames for her.

Way to go with the talking, Dex!