Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Day of School!

Frankie had her first day of school yesterday.  She was so excited.  We've been talking about school for months, and she went for a few days over the summer to their summer program to try it out.  We kept telling her that school starts "In the Fall".  The night before the big day, I put the kids to bed, and I heard her excitedly telling Dexter, "Dex, did you know it's fall now?  All the leaves are starting to fall off the trees, and I'm going to school.  Did you know that, Dex, did you?"  I love that Dexter has already learned the art of saying things like "Wow!" and "Oh!" when she talks his ear off like this.  She and Dex were still chatting and singing at 9:30 - so I had to go back in and remind them that it was time for sleeping.  That night she woke up two more times, and wouldn't touch her breakfast.

She and I set off for school, while Dex stayed with Grazi.  We're going to a parent-run co-op, and a parent is expected to stay with their child for the first half-day.  We had a great day!  Chris asked if she was clingy or didn't want me to be with her, and she was neither.  There would be times when she would disappear to play, and there were other times when she wanted to show me something, or would stop in for a snuggle.  It was a great time for me to get to meet some of the other kids, and watch what happens during the day - I got a much better sense of how they use the space, and all the little routines that make up the day.  I also took mental notes on how to better organize our art supplies!

As part of the parent-run co-op piece, we are all assigned committees.  Chris and I are on the hospitality committee, which meant I helped to provide dinner for 40 people for last night's all parent's meeting.  I made loads of Borscht and Coconut Red Lentil soup, chicken nuggets and peas for the kids, and everyone enjoyed the spring rolls that the other committee member, Thuy, made.

Frankie's back for a full day today and tomorrow.  I have a feeling we'll have one tired peanut on Friday afternoon!












2 comments:

Heather said...

So cute! I was waiting for this post after your FB update about the first day of school. :)

I enjoyed hearing about Frankie and Dex talking "late into the night". Miss you all!

Happy school days, Frankie!

Murry said...

how awesome that you were able to stay with her the first day so she could settle into her new school, and you could see what she is doing at school! love the pictures too...she is one excited little girl (and her bangs are growing in so nicely!!).

oh, and now that it's fall it also means a fun trip to CA (thailand)! can't wait to see you all in a month and a half!!