I thought I'd take a break from posting about our trip to share with you some of the books we're reading this week. I'd like to make this a weekly post, we'll see if I'm able to keep that commitment!
Dex(2-4 year olds): Green Eyes, by Abe Birnbaum. This Caldecott Honor book from 1953 is perfect for the 2 1/2 year old crowd. Frankie loved it just as much at that age. It's a wonderful story to read aloud - it has a nice cadence, and has lots of opportunities for counting in small amounts, identifying and differentiating colors, identifying farm animals, and introducing seasons. Birnbaum was a much-loved illustrator for the New Yorker magazine. Frankie loves it still too, so it you've missed the 2.5 window, your almost 4-year old would love it too!
Frankie (3-6 year olds): Little Rabbit's Loose Tooth, by Lucy Bate. We have the 1975 edition from the library with the illustrations by Diane De Groat, which I love, but the story would be the same with the newer edition. Little rabbit looses a tooth, and the events surrounding loosing a first tooth are documented in a light, relaxed manner that I find delightful. My favorite part, when little rabbit decides to leave her tooth for the tooth fairy:
"Just in case there isn't a tooth fairy," said Little Rabbit.
"Yes?" said Mother Rabbit.
"After I'm asleep, could you sneak and look under my pillow and look in the envelope? And if there isn't a present, could you leave one?"
"Yes," said Mother Rabbit.
"You don't have to tell me," said Little Rabbit. "You could just sneak."
Me: Read for the Heart, by Sarah Clarkson. This book was recommended by Heather. If you don't read Heather's blog, you should, and then read every book she recommends!
Read for the Heart is a book of book recommendations for children. I get the irony that I'm recommending a book full of book recommendations, but this one is a gem. Written by Sally Clarkson's daughter, this book has lists of beloved "living books" that reflect a moral, biblical truth in their story, as well as literary quality. The authors she recommends are not all Christians, and the explanation she gives for recommending them I find refreshing and true.
Happy Reading!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Books we're reading this week
Posted by Jenny at 11:26 AM
Labels: book review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Okay, that's one bomb shout-out on your blog. I'm honored. :)
I don't know either of those kids books, we'll have to get them!
Post a Comment