Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A camping we will go (or how to survive car camping with kids)


Backpacking in Hawaii, 2006, 6 weeks pregnant with Frankie

Chris and I are campers. Backpackers, actually, which is a whole different breed of campers. At least we were until we had young children, and now we're just campers, for now.

Back in our glory days we'd set off into the woods with just the packs on our backs for several days at a time. We'd hike 8-9 miles before making camp for the night, and do it all again the next day. I took great pleasure in the sense that everything I needed for the next few days is on my back. Even Maisy Dog had saddlebags to hold her food, because like I told her, everyone needed to carry their own load.


Maisy in her Saddle Bags

But now we've got these kids. And so we've got twice the stuff, and sometimes Dex (still) refuses to walk and wants to be carried.

So car camping. For a few more years.

We've got a few trips planned for this summer (glorious summer!), and I wanted to share with you my lists, because I'm a list girl, and I thought maybe some of you who are camping for the first time as a family might benefit from some of our trial and error. We're mimimalists, but not aesthetics, so keep that in mind as you view my lists.

One thing we did the first few years (when I was really unsure how the babies would do in the tent) was to do a trial run in the back yard. I highly recommend this if you have space, and really young children (like under 2). You can see if you have all your gear, you can see how the kids will react to sleeping in the tent (our first trial run Frankie was a little over 2 and refused to fall asleep, so finally around 10:30 pm she and I canned it and went inside to sleep).

The trial run in May, 2009



Okay, so here's the system. I have two big blue bins from Wal-Mart. I have taped my inventory lists to them. I stored them stacked inside one another, and only one is full of camping gear. The other will get filled with stuff just before the trip. I make sure to check things off as they go back into the bins so I know what I still need before the next trip.







Tub 1 contents:

Bathroom

  • 4 Toothbrushes
  • Toothpaste
  • Lotion (Sunscreen)
  • Hairbrush
  • Hair Ties
  • Deodorant
  • Shampoo
  • Soap - Bar
  • Washcloth
  • Towels
  • Toilet Paper
Kitchen
  • Stove
  • Fuel
  • Matches
  • Lighter
  • 4 bowls
  • 4 sets cutlery
  • water purifier (this is optional if you're car camping)
  • 1 big pot, 1 small pot, 2 pans
  • 4 mugs
  • pot grabber
  • good knife
  • cutting board
  • can opener
  • salt/pepper
  • cooler
  • baggies
  • gallon ziplocks
  • aluminum foil
  • paper towels
  • trash bags
  • 2 washcloths
  • dish soap
  • wash basin
First Aid Kit
  • Kid's IB Profen, benadryl
  • Adult IB Profen, Allerfy meds
  • Bugspray
  • Baking Soda
  • Neosporin
  • Alcohol Swabs
  • Band Aids
  • Gauze
  • Athletic Tape
  • Needle or Safety Pins
  • Tweezers
  • Nail Clippers
  • Duct Tape
  • Blister Kit
  • Ankle Wrap
  • Wilderness Medicine Book
Gear
  • Thermarest Chairs, Camp stool
  • Lantern and Tea Lights
  • 4 Headlamps
  • Batteries for headlamps - 7 AAs, 1 AAA
  • Compass/Whistle
  • Rope
  • Carabineers
  • Bungees
  • Bowl for Dog
  • Day Pack
  • 4 Waterbottles
  • Leatherman
  • Ergo
  • Camel Back
  • Camera
 Tub 2 contents

Clothing
  • Hats
  • Sunglasses
  • Rainjacket or Coat
  • Sweaters
  • Jammies
  • T-shirts
  • Long-sleeved T shirts
  • Shorts
  • Pants
  • Leggings
  • Bathing Suit (always bring them in the summer, you never know when you will happen upon a good swimming hole!)
  • Flip Flops
  • Sneakers/Good Hiking Shoes
  • Good Socks
  • Underwear
Food (this is a general list of must-have, I add other specific meal items as necessary)
  • Graham Crackers
  • Marshmallows
  • Chocolate
  • Instant Oatmeal
  • Energy Bars
  • Trail Mix
  • Coffee (instant Starbucks has changed my camping life)
  • Herbal Tea or Hot Cider or Hot Chocolate
Sleeping (we throw all of this in our backpacks or just pack it in the car, like the pillows)
  • Tent
  • Rain Fly
  • Tarp
  • Poles
  • Stakes
  • Ropes for Stakes
  • 4 Thermarests
  • 4 Sleeping Bags
  • 4 pillows
  • 1 stuffed animal per child
  • Old sheet (I like to put this down on the tent floor or use it for a picnic blanket)
I have found that having the bins are really helpful to keep things organized, dry, and clean once we're at the campsite.  One of the biggest struggles with camping, and especially with kids, is keeping things clean and dry.  The bins also serve as impromptu tables and chairs.  If you're camping with a young toddler, we found the car seat worked well as a high chair.

I'll try and do a follow-up post on what to bring to eat when you have only a single-burner stove, and no refrigeration.

Now go get your camp on.

5 comments:

Heather said...

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Thanks so much; we have camping gear in the boxes from when we got married. We never went camping ... it's been almost 9 years since our wedding. These lists will help so much when we get to it, maybe this summer! :)

Unknown said...

We're going camping this weekend with our family and two other families. 8 kids total!!! Should be fun and full of stories to share later. Thanks for the lists!!!! It's a great place for me to start...

Alecia W. said...

For some reason, this made me really happy. :) I love the organizational aspect of this. Makes me think of all our future moves and places we will go. Miss you, sweet friend!!!

Pam Wildeman said...

Hi Jennie - where do you guys camp with the kids? We'd love suggestions. Roy has been dying to go.

- Pam

Jenny said...

Pam, this summer we're heading to LaFayette campground in NH, and then Bear Brook in NH in July. www.reserveamerica.com is a good resource for car camping. We also enjoyed our stay last summer at Red Barn Campground in Maine (just outside Acadia) and the campground in Acadia, Blackwoods. Blackwoods you need to reserve well in advance. Red Barn was nice for the kids - they had a pool and chickens (you could buy fresh eggs in the morning). Really, anywhere can be fun, it's just being outside together!