Friday, January 6, 2012

Christmas in Ohio



We celebrated Christmas in Ohio this year. I love going to my Mom's house for Christmas - she and my Dad always work really hard to make it special for us, and I'm thankful for them!







The highlight this year was definitely cousin time. Howie, Frankie, and Dex are finally at the age where they really, really love to be with one another. And what fun they have together! There was a cousin sleepover, lots of bouncing on Howie's bouncy castle, and a few animal parades. Johnny is still young to participate in much of the fun, but he's a hoot, and will no doubt be joining in more and more of the fun in years to come. This kept happening:











The best part about this game was that Johnny thought it was hilarious, and Frankie took her "job" of putting him back on the chair very seriously. She kept patiently putting him back without any scolding (good for her!). He would giggle and repeat the process, thinking it a really fun game.



Santa came this year in all his American Christmas Glory. My kids know all about Santa, the mythology, his reindeer, the fact that he comes down the chimney. We have a gorgeous edition of The Night Before Christmas, illustrated by Jan Brett. They love to sing the songs about him and ask me all kinds of questions about the how and whys of Santa.



I've never felt it necessary for them to believe Santa is real. I don't think that fact takes away any of the magic of Santa when you're 4. When you're 4, you dress up like a mermaid and suddenly you're a mermaid. It doesn't matter if you're not really a mermaid; you're a mermaid. The line between make believe and real is very fuzzy when you're a kid. So my kids know that Santa isn't real, but that he's a really fun story that we can participate in and they love to participate.


New hula hoop!

I've also never felt it necessary to demonize Santa and all he represents. He's a myth, a significant part of our culture, and a really fun one when you're a kid. I participate in many sins throughout the Christmas season: indulgence, selfishness, consumerism, lack of contentment. I can't blame Santa or our cultural Christmas for those things.



My kids know all about Jesus too. His birth, the Angel Gabriel who heralded his coming, and all kinds of songs celebrating his birth. They know that on Christmas we are celebrating Jesus' birth, his coming to save us all, the glory and wonder of God becoming flesh. This is also very magical for them.



I think the really hard part for all of us who are Christians at Christmas is to strike the balance between being a part of our culture and celebrating a time of thankfulness and generosity while also celebrating an important religious holiday. I kind of wish the two were separate events, but I think the cultural Christmas we all celebrate is also important. It's an important time to show love and care to people around you.



I do know that the time I spend participating in the cultural Christmas events (the endless string of North Pole exhibits, light displays, and Christmas train rides) was not nearly as satisfying as the time I spent with family, contemplating Jesus and the work he came to do, and celebrating those I love. I think this is where the good, the pure, and true lie.




Isn't my little sister the cutest?!?!?!


Pinky Pie, thank you Mimi!








Pawpaw!


Aunt Sarah and Uncle Jason




Nonnie and Pawpaw


Awkward Family Photo


Not so awkward!










Johnny


Howie


New toothbrushes from Santa!










Mixing up some reindeer food, thanks Aunt Becky!










Merry Christmas!

*I'd like to thank Becky and her mad camera skills for most of these pictures!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Those are some very gorgeous pictures (of course starting with all of those pretty people and cute kids doesn't hurt!)

So glad you got to be with you sisters and parents this year. I'm sure, after all of the change, it was fun to be in a comfortable place.

And, if you don't mind me saying, you look smashing in that dress and shawl. No, hot. You look hot, mama! :)

Melanie said...

Of all the things to comment on and agree with in this post, here is what I feel most compelled to say: I totally had that reindeer girl in the dress when I was little. And I'm pretty sure she came from Burger King.