I'm reviving the old blog to write down my new favorite trail spaghetti recipe. The kids are finally old enough to really hit the trail, so we're switching into backpacking mode. Turns out buying those fancy ready made meals for a family of 4 is expensive, and my kids don't often like the flavors offered. So I decided to try my hand at making my own lightweight, nutritious trail food.
First off, I have to thank the preppers. They have provided a large enough demand for freeze-dried food and how-to videos that it is now readily available and easy to learn how to work with. They want to use this food in 10 years when the zombie apocalypse happens, I want to use mine next weekend on the trail. Potayto, potato.
I bought these mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Freeze-dried food is more susceptible to spoilage due to water absorption that dehydrated food, or at least that was the impression I got. I watched this YouTube video on how to work with the bags.
Since I'm trying so many new things, I thought it would be wise to make sure we liked some of them before trying them out on the trail. Turns out the OvaEasy Egg Crystals are as super tasty as advertised. Adios, powdered eggs.
And now, for the trail spaghetti. We had it for dinner tonight, and it was delicious. The kids even ate it with minimal complaining.
Trail Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 packet McCormick Think and Zesty Spaghetti packet (I was able to find this at my local Publix)
- 1/2 tube of double strength 4.5oz Cento tomato paste. The brand doesn't matter, and I also found this at Publix. Also, the box says this should be refrigerated after opening; I say it probably doesn't. We're going to take our chances.
- 3/4 C Harmony House dried vegetable soup mix
- 2 C (1/2 can) of Honeyville freeze dried beef (5.6 oz small can)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil - from my pantry, sealed in a small mylar bag I cut down to size. This was a bit messy, and you can buy packets on Amazon, which might be worth it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment