Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tooth update

The root canal drama continues. Last week, on Monday, my temporary filling came out (again! what, am I eating stones in my sleep??). Having learned the world of hurt that can occur when this happens, I went to the dentist Tuesday to get it put back in. Wednesday I went for a scheduled visit to have my root canals "finished". She was not able to finish (have I mentioned that normal people have 3 canals per tooth, but lucky me, I have 4 and they are teeny-tiny). By the time the nova-cane wore off Wednesday night I was back to excruciating-percoset-needing pain. I took all the percoset I thought I was allowed to (which was way less than I was actually allowed to) and didn't sleep Wednesday night. Fool that I am, I thought I was feeling a little better in the morning, and went to work. By 2:30 I was in so much pain I left work in the middle of a meeting and called my dentist. She referred me to a specialist, an Endodontist, and I went to get my teeth drilled for third day in a row. She got me out of nerve pain with her specialized skills and high-powered microscope (read: *expensive*), but by this point I'd had my teeth worked on so much in the last two weeks that my jaw and gums were so inflamed, I was still in excruciating pain. I took all the percoset I was allowed, and fell asleep in a drug-induced stupor. Friday morning I was no better, took more percoset, and stayed home from work to sleep off the drugs and the pain. Since Friday night I have been much better. I'm still in some pain, and can't open my jaw all the way, but Advil can take care of it. I have to go back to the Endodontist this Friday to get the root canals finished, and then I'll have to get two posts and two crowns installed. I'll have had my root canals drilled 5 times by the time this process is through (hoping she can finish Friday). Colin Ashe and I have discussed how nice it will be in the future when we all just get bionic teeth. This is also the future that is run by Robots (note the respect I offer the Robots by capitalizing their name).

If you've read this far, you deserve some pictures. These are from the hike we went on two weekends ago with the Ashe and Radbill families. Heather gave an excellent report in her blog if you want the details!





Boston skyline









The "baby race" on the beach - notice Dexter refusing to put his feet down. I have a feeling we're going to have a late walker...

3 comments:

Heather said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better and will pray this is over for you soon!

Love the Robot Respect.

You got some great shots of the kids on our hiking day. I like the one from behind the two boys in stripes.

When your teeth are normal, let's plan that Olive Garden lunch or dinner!

Pam said...

Wow, what a nightmare. I hope you're fixed up and pain-free soon!

Murry said...

i'm so glad you took friday off. i know it's hard to nfall behind at work bc then you have to catch up, but hopefully you can catch up pain free!!

love you! miss you! praying for you!