So there are many things I need to update you on, such as our trek South and the Country Music Half Marathon, Frankie's ballet recital, and life in general, but when I start to think about telling you about all these things, I get overwhelmed. So I'll start with an update on Frankie's preschool.
Previously, we'd been waitlisted at a Co-op in our neighborhood, Ashmont Nursery School. We had really wanted Frankie to go here if she didn't get in to our BPS choice, but apparently didn't want it badly enough to check the admissions deadline. In my mind, it was March 1st. In reality, it was Feb. 1st. I realized this towards the end of Feb. The fact that I missed an admissions deadline is really embarrassing for me to have to admit to the world, but there it is. Part of the work I do at MIT involves Admissions for the academic programs I support. As in, I'm on the admissions committee for a graduate academic program at MIT. I know how hard it is to convince an admissions committee to take your application seriously when you don't take their admissions deadlines seriously. Shame.
But, back to reality, it's preschool. So I sent her late application along with a mea culpa cover letter, and figured when we got word that she was on the wait list that it was over. Well, she got in! She was indeed, as I suspected, at the very bottom of said wait list, but what matters is that she's in! We had to go in for an interview (this sounds way more formal than it was), and they explained to me all the responsibilities required of parents (it's a co-op), and Frankie and Dex ran around and played. And had a great time.
The school is a modified-Montessori, and just seems like it's going to be so fun. She's going to go 3 days a week, from 9am to 2:45 pm, which seems much more do-able than 5 days a week (that was going to be the schedule at the Catholic school). We'll be able to walk her there, which was important to us.
For those of you who don't know what Montessori is, it's a method of teaching that emphasizes play and "following the child's interest" as the best venue for learning. I think this is perfect for preschool. There's a vegetable garden in the back of the school where they plant, care for, harvest, and eat their own snacks during the seasons in New England when that's possible. There's an extensive collection of dress-ups and other props for imaginative play. They eat lunch together, and learn table manners and how to enjoy a meal with others. They go on lots of field trips. There are several turtles and birds at the school and the kids take turns helping to take care of them.
Chris and I have been assigned to the "Hospitality" committee, which means we will need to provide food for a variety of events throughout the year. Chris and I will also have to attend quarterly meetings, help out with several annual fund raisers, and parent-teach one day every 6 weeks. We've already attended the initial parent meeting, and met some really nice parents in our neighborhood. This is huge for us! We moved to Dorchester 2 years ago, and still feel like we don't know many parents with children our age in our neighborhood. One of the little girl's from Frankie's ballet class will be in her class, as will the niece of our next-door neighbor who is often next door.
We are so thankful for this opportunity!
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Ashmont Nursery School
Posted by Jenny at 3:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i remember hearing great things about this school from a guy that lived down the street closer to the T stop...do you remember him? he gave us his business card to get together for playdates and when we called him he totally forgot who we were...super embarrassing! what a relief that she is going to go to such a great school that can accommodate her interests and help her grow! is dex going too?
That is great news!
Thanks, guys! Dexter will attend next year, when he's 3!
Post a Comment