Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thank you

Frankie’s latest most consistent word (phrase?) is “thank you”. I say word because I’m pretty sure she thinks it’s just one word, and that the word is actually a verb defined “take whatever I’m holding, I’m done with it”.

The first time we noticed it was a few weeks ago. I was holding her, and Heather offered her a pear bite. She said “Thank you”, and we were stunned. That one did seem an appropriate time to use it.

Since then, one of her favorite games has been to give you an object she’s holding, and then usually hold her hand out to ask for it back (although not always!). She repeats “thank you” during this exchange in an adorable sing-song way, usually when she’s handing the object to you.

She’s most recently started to say “thank you” in her high chair, which I’m coming to realize means “all done”. As in “thank you, but I’ve had enough”. I do much prefer this to the most recent methods of telling me all done which involved dropping food over the edge of the highchair with a nonchalant flick of her wrist that implied no regard or awareness of my disappointed “no-no baby”s. Or the frenetic waving or her hands across the tray that sent food a-flying. Don’t worry, I think these are still the preferred methods, but maybe we can work on this verbal communication thing. The signing never worked for us, she just never got it. Blank stares all around.

Thank you, Momma, take this shoe

Shoe bandit

This is another common event these days - she points to an object and wants to know the name of it.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute!! "Thank you" for sharing :) I can't wait to hear Frankie talk in person! Kiran