Friday, March 7, 2008

The sleep rollercoaster and antibiotics

I know that most of you are on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next to our fearless heroine and her adventures in an unpredictable sleep schedule. Little angel slept for 3 hours yesterday afternoon, and woke up at 7 this morning! She's currently down for what I hope will be yet another 3 hour afternoon nap. That would make three in a row. Who-rah!

In other news, she is starting her first ever round of antibiotics today. She had a boil on her leg this last week, and the doctor wanted to give her some antibiotics just to clear up any remaining infection that might be there. It's apparently overkill, but they said since she was so young they wanted to be sure. I feel terrible; I didn't call for about a week because I just thought it was like a huge zit and would go away on its own. It didn't, and got bigger and bigger, and finally I helped drain it to relieve the pressure (which turns out was the right thing to do). Sarah mentioned yesterday that it was probably a boil, and I did some research last night and figured I should call the doctor.

I apologize for the grossness of this post, but thought it might be helpful to other parents in case they come across something like this - it wasn't even on my radar to be concerned about or call the doctor about! For more information about staph infections (probably the cause of the boil), check out: http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/infections/bacterial_viral/staph.html

2 comments:

The Bergs said...

Jenny, after a round of antibiotics it will be a good idea to get Frankie on some probiotics (ie. acidophilus.) Antibiotics tend to kill off the friendly bacteria as well as the nasties, so re-populating them is a big help to the immune system. The best ones come in a powder form and you can mix them in with her food (and they don't have a taste, so she won't refuse to eat.)

You can get them at some drug stores as well as health food stores. If you need any more info let me know and I can help you out.

Jonathan

Murry said...

hopefully she will be her normal, healthy self soon. three three hours naps...wow, that's a record for her!