We would really like to make traveling something our family does, something we prioritize. We think it's a wonderful educational opportunity for the kids, and a way for us to explore and learn together as a family. Not to mention a nice break from the ordinary to try some new things, something Chris and I love to do.
Now that Dex is 2, we feel ready to go! We've talked to people who travel with their kids, and the advice we keep hearing is to start them young.
So we booked tickets to Thailand this morning! Why Thailand? Chris has been wanting to get me to Asia since he's traveled there for work and I've never been. Our good friends, Jon and Oil are going to be traveling to Thailand with their 2 kids (Zippy, 4, and Chaeus, almost 3) in November for 3 weeks. Since Oil is from Thailand, speaks the language, has lots of family there, and our kids get along so well, we thought we'd join them for part of their trip!
We're leaving October 29th and have scheduled a 2-day lay-over in LA so we can spend Halloween with the Murrys. Then off to Thailand! A 12-hour flight to Tokyo, and a 6+ hour flight to Bangkok. We're still not sure what's going to happen after that, but it will involve touring Bangkok and the Grand Palace, and certainly most of a week on one of Thailand's infamously gorgeous beaches. We'll return 2 weeks later in Mid-November.
We've already starting talking Thailand up, and Frankie has caught on that we're going. I checked out the available children's books on Thailand from our local library, and have researched and requested a few more like a collection of Thai folk tales, a kid-friendly Thai cookbook, and other stories set in Thailand. We've got a travel video on Thailand next on our Netflix queue. When we hang out with Oil and her kids, I'm going to ask them to start teaching us some Thai words and phrases.
So we've got to get started on passports and immunizations, and nailing down our itinerary, but the most important part? We're going!
And hopefully we'll get lots of pictures of ourselves at this beach:
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Thailand!
Posted by Jenny at 7:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
This is so wild; and it is AWESOME that you will go with Oil and John. Wow!
Oh, and you're creating a unit on Thailand for Frankie with the ultimate field trip at the end. You're homeschooling! tee hee!!!
you and chris are some of the most adventurous people i know, and i love that your adventure means a stop over in la with us!!!! can't wait. seriously, can't wait!!!!
Ha! Heather, I kind of knew I was, but I'm new at this - do you have any other suggestions? Other things I could do to get the most out of our trip before we go?
Sarah, we can't WAIT to see y'all!
This sounds so awesome! I am totally inspired to do something with my family this fall now. Of course, our trip will be something a bit more like San Antonio than Thailand, but potato, potato, right?
You are now the frontrunners for coolest parents, fo sho.
I think this is so awesome!! I can't wait to hear about it!! And it'll be great to have your munchkins hang out too.
Post a Comment