The McFadden girls are still under the weather, but hoping that this will be the week that we rally. I’ve been sick for going on two weeks now, and am concerned about developing an Afrin addiction. Supposedly this stuff can be really addicting (my co-worker’s brother was addicted to it for 2 years). I’m allowed to use it 2x/day, and it’s the only thing that will keep my nose clear for more than about 45 minutes.
I’m finding that when I first used it, it kept my nose clear for about 10 hours. I’m now down to about 4 hours of relief, at which point I have to suffer through with saline spray until bedtime, when I’m allowed another dose. Is this how the addiction develops, I wonder? Because non-pregnant people are allowed to take it pretty much when they want (there’s no posted limit). I’m totally feelin’ the need to get my Afrin fix sooner and sooner after my last hit.
When I consider the alternatives, I’m not left with many options. Afrin addiction or harming my unborn baby with decongestants (which I was doing, sparingly, and got reprimanded for by my PCP – I know, people, I know! I’ve just been really, really miserable). Afrin addiction it is. My mom will be here in two weeks, maybe she can help me detox, check me in to a clinic, whatever.
Frankie is still sick too, poor baby. Her fever comes and goes, and hasn’t risen above 102 since last Thursday as far as I can tell. She’s been sleeping a lot, which Heather pointed out today is a good thing, and drinking fairly well. She hasn’t been interested in much food, and despite my efforts to buy her off with fancy “Danimals” yogurt drinks, she’s iffy on those too.
She’s been fussy, but doesn’t seem to be in a lot of pain, so I’ve been hoping that we’re avoiding the ear infection at this point. She’s so lethargic; it’s really sad to see a baby this slow-moving. She just likes to sit there for a while in my lap, reading books, or just staring. This morning she sat in her high chair with food on her tray just staring off into space for a while. She’s wanted to be held a lot, which means I have been doing a lot of just holding my baby and reading to her lately.
Chris tore down the bedroom wall with Jeff Murry’s help this weekend, while Frankie and I took refuge from the dust and pounding at Sarah and Hannah’s. There was such a big mess. Chris worked really hard Saturday night to clean much of it up, and then we both worked most of Sunday to get the house really clean. He has promised me that that was the messiest part of the renovations, and that we’ll have smaller messes from here on out, but nothing like horse-hair plaster all over the house.
He’s currently on his way to Fargo, ND, where I think the temperatures are hovering around -14 right now. Oh the wonderful places you’ll go, Chris McFadden, Manufacturing Engineer, Supply Chain Manager, Esq.
Jeff Murry, who did not saw his own leg off during this project.
Exposing the chimney (far right) did not prove to be the "hidden gem" we were hoping for. We'll be covering it back up, like the previous owners.
Room for two new closets!
Monday, January 28, 2008
Afrin Addiction and other updates
Posted by Jenny at 7:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i'll see you through your afrin withdraws...spray away!
So actually NO ONE should use afrin for more than 3 or 4 days. It doesn't matter if they're pregnant or not. At this point, it might even be doing more harm than good, since withdrawing from it actually causes rebound nasal congestion (as in worse than before you used it.) Some people have actually used it so much they get a hole in their nasal septum. That would take a long time to develop, so YOU shouldn't worry about that, but just so you know that it's not just pregnant women who have to limit their intake. Have you tried claritin? That is actually a pregnancy category B (meaning most likely safe). I know it might not do a lot, but if it helps at all you might feel better, and it's not sedating like benadryl. I really hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment