Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Done

I am done. After weeks of work and a few bleary nights of late-night work (last night until 1:30 am), I am done.

I will now take a moment to geek out and brag about the fact that my application ended up being over 3500 lines of code (for all you non-geeks out there, this is something coders LOVE to brag about). Usually LOC brags do not impress me, but it's the only metric I have to make folks like Jeff smile with pride at my accomplishment.

I need to go to bed and pray that this sore throat I've been feeling for the last few hours does not turn into a full-fledged cold, but before that I need to explain the revelation I had working on this project about how humbling writing code is.

Many times over the last few days I would have this conversation in my head after get angry at the compiler for throwing errors that really weren't there.

"I mean really, there's nothing wrong with this code! I've gone over it three times. All those variables are spelled right. All my statements are properly closed. Maybe it's not refreshing my file. Maybe my FTP app isn't connected. Surely this compiler is broken.

"Oh wait. What about that extra open parenthesis on line 160? Sigh. Human Error. Again."

It's not the fact that I make so many mistakes that's been humbling, I knew I'm apt to do that already, it's been eye-opening to see how prideful I get about wanting to insist that I didn't make a mistake and wanting to blame something else. It's just that there isn't room for interpretation when you're up against a machine.

Anyway, I'm ready to re-join the world of people who have free time so I can work on my other hobbies like sewing, reading for pleasure, and blogging pictures of my little girl.

ps. Katie do you still think we could be friends?

7 comments:

Jeff Derrick said...

Congrats Jenny! 3500 lines of code!!! That's fantastic! Thats 3.41796875 kL (kiloLines) of Code!

The_Writer said...

I want to be crafty, too! Last Saturday I listened to 8 hours of This American Life while sewing 3 pillows, 1 table runner and finishing 1 baby quilt. I can't be stopped! Can this be our new project for baby presents? http://www.purlbee.com/cozy-hooded-baby-towel/

Anonymous said...

YIKES! This blurker was called out point blank. Yes, I do think we can still be friends. Although, I am starting to wonder if you aren't a long, lost sister of my husband's...

Murry said...

congrats jenny! you worked so hard...want to get a coffee or something to celebrate!

Kristen said...

i am so code-dumb that i can't even think of a code-joke. but i'm proud of you, you NERD!

Melanie said...

Remember Sweingardner? That's all I know about code. You're the smartest code-writing girl I know. I'm so proud of you!

Jenny said...

Thanks for all your encouragement, friends and blurkers! Beth, Pam, Sarah, anyone else who's interested, I will be open for business if you want to get your craft on. My new obsession - http://www.etsy.com. Beth, those hooded towels look great!