Thursday night Dexter got overheated and spiked a temp of 102.4 around 1 am. The admitting temp for a newborn his age is 100.4. Yikes! We cooled him down as best we could, I fed him, and we took him to the hospital. By the time we got to the ER his temp was at 99.9. By the time we left it was 98.6. After examining him they decided to let us go home without any further testing since we had an appointment in the morning with our pediatrician, and he seemed completely fine otherwise.
Our peditrician was horrified that they had let him go without any testing, and we had to endure watching our 4-day old baby get a cathader for a urine sample, and a needle in his arm for a blood sample, and yet another heel prick for more blood. She did not issue the spinal tap, much to our relief, because he did seem fine, but didn't feel that she would be doing her job if she didn't at least do the other testing. Fortunately, his testing revealed no infection, and no signs of jaundice, so we're in the clear. She agreed with us that he was probably over-heated and dehydrated. We're going to supplement with formula, and she wants me to start pumping to get my supply up. I think my supply has already started to catch up though, because he's only taken the formula three times since yesterday after a feeding, and has thrown most of it back up twice. He's had some reassuringly soaking wet diapers that started last night, and several dirty diapers, so I'm hoping we're back on track.
Poor exhausted baby after a morning at the doctor's office.
We're enjoying getting to know the newest member of our family. He's a sweet boy - he rarely cries, and so far when he has, it's been clearly a result of gas. I've been learning to hear the difference in his "I'm hungry now, momma" cry, and his more painful sounding "I have gas now momma and don't want to try and eat right now" cry. He's sleeping well for now, but I'm not going to declare him a good sleeper until he gets back these first few weeks of normal newborn drowsiness.
Frankie has accepted her baby brother like a champ. I am immensely grateful for my mom being here and spending so much time with her, and it's wonderful to have Chris here at home too. I will tell you that as soon as I had Dexter, she seemed HUGE to me. Physically, but more developmentally. She's at such a fun age right now. She's continuing to add to her vocabulary, and shockingly, without further prompting or dilligence on our part, has started to use her signs. They aren't consistent, but this morning she clearly asked me for "more" nutrigrain bar.
She is enjoying the new house - it's wonderful for her to have so much space to roam in now. Here she is on the deck playing with her pool and in the grass in our backyard.
Videos to come later today!
Saturday, June 14, 2008
A hard day's night
Posted by Jenny at 10:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
oh, jenny! I am so sorry you had to go through all that with Dexter! Just remembering those tests with Nathanael is enough to get me to an ugly cry (which is why I just don't think about it). It sounds like you're feeling okay, and I'm so glad! Dexter is so handsome, and it's fun to see the resemblance to Frankie. We love you guys and wish we were in boston more than ever!
I am so glad that Dexter is doing well!!! I remember when my supply started to come up after pumping; in the wee hours of the morning I nursed Corinne, and shortly thereafter she filled up her diaper. I had just finished changed her and went to pick her up, when she made this noise like a hiccup and puked EVERYWHERE . . . and because she was laying on her back on the changing table, it got all over her face and in her hair. Fun times! :-)
So glad he's okay - I hope Boston cools off for you guys soon! Thanks for the new pictures & videos. He's beautiful!
Post a Comment